I had a funny kind of affirmation given to me this past Sunday.
I went to a few different Universities. One of my Alma Mater is a small liberal arts school in Northwestern Virginia, named-oddly enough- Southern Virginia University (it started off a LONG time ago as a Women's Seminary called Southern Seminary. Some genius wanted to carry on the name in some way when it became a co-ed college and named it Southern Virginia College... and time marches on...)
It was a lovely school full of fun and wonderful classmates and FANTASTIC teachers. There I met my favorite art professor and mentor: Prof. V. I took several classes from him and spent long hours discussing things with him about art and life and the struggle to become.
Now, years later - more than ten! We are facebook friends and keep in touch. Travel has become a creative outlet for me and a defining part of my person. Sometimes we are so engulfed by the struggled that we forget to periodically stop and check for results. I don't think I'd even stopped to contemplate how engrained travel had become into my soul until recently. Prof. V. posted this on my facebook wall:
It seems that by doing what I love, I have made a name for myself. I have become a world traveler. That my name has become synonymous to a few with travel.
That may seem quite evident to you. But it's very exciting to me. I think of my twenty-year-old self, the self that had just begun my first art class with Professor V. and I could have never known, could never have guessed at the the life I've had for the past decade. It's been a heck of a ride. And it's been amazing.
Thanks Prof. V.
I went to a few different Universities. One of my Alma Mater is a small liberal arts school in Northwestern Virginia, named-oddly enough- Southern Virginia University (it started off a LONG time ago as a Women's Seminary called Southern Seminary. Some genius wanted to carry on the name in some way when it became a co-ed college and named it Southern Virginia College... and time marches on...)
It was a lovely school full of fun and wonderful classmates and FANTASTIC teachers. There I met my favorite art professor and mentor: Prof. V. I took several classes from him and spent long hours discussing things with him about art and life and the struggle to become.
Now, years later - more than ten! We are facebook friends and keep in touch. Travel has become a creative outlet for me and a defining part of my person. Sometimes we are so engulfed by the struggled that we forget to periodically stop and check for results. I don't think I'd even stopped to contemplate how engrained travel had become into my soul until recently. Prof. V. posted this on my facebook wall:
It seems that by doing what I love, I have made a name for myself. I have become a world traveler. That my name has become synonymous to a few with travel.
That may seem quite evident to you. But it's very exciting to me. I think of my twenty-year-old self, the self that had just begun my first art class with Professor V. and I could have never known, could never have guessed at the the life I've had for the past decade. It's been a heck of a ride. And it's been amazing.
Thanks Prof. V.
No comments:
Post a Comment