Friday, November 11, 2011

Girls' Weekend

I kinda like my little sister. It wasn't always so. As children we fought often. As teenagers we started to get along. Now that we're adults (maybe) I can say that I don't know what I'd do without my little sis. Sometimes she even surprises me by acting like my big sis. I guess that's bound to happen in some circumstances because she's married with a baby (my adorable nephew) and I'm still living the single life. We've always walked different paths and our paths usually complement each others' very well.

This past weekend we took the same path. We jumped into the car for a girls' getaway. Just the two of us.

It.Was.Divine.


We'd talked about doing a girls' weekend for about a year prior to actually going for it. Jobs, babies, life happened and time passed quickly.

But this past weekend was it! Finally!

We booked a room down in Monterey at the Portola Hotel & Spa. I chose that hotel in particular for it's location, and also because as kids we'd stayed there while my Dad attended at Chiropractic Convention. (It was the Doubletree Inn back then.) Little Sis doesn't remember much about that first stay, back in the eighties, but I do. We played elevator tag and swam in the fun, round pool for hours and hours. My Mom took us down to the pier and the beach and we ordered room service to the pool. One evening room service brought us up a delectable treat that we'll always remember: Strawberries with sour cream and brown sugar. YUM. We went to the Monterey Bay Aquarium for the first time. Yes, Monterey holds a lovely little corner of my heart and is the stage for some of my fondest childhood memories.

The Portola hotel did not disappoint us on this girls' getaway. Though it did seem a lot smaller than it had in my childhood memories...

When we checked in we were handed massive, warm chocolate chip cookies and then given our room keys. We were already in heaven!



We took our bags and our cookies, went to the elevator bank, (where I was THRILLED when Kelly asked "Hey, is this where we played elevator tag?" Yes! She did remember!) and shuffled to our room, which didn't have a sea-view, but it did have a balcony and two of the comfiest hotel beds I've ever stayed in. Heaven! Again!




 (Photos of the Portola from http://www.portolahotel.com/about/photos.php)


 The next two days were a blur of naps, beautiful coastal drives, gorgeous houses, a California Mission and delectable food...


1 comment:

  1. Awesome to see the place again! And to hear of your happy memories. You've made your old Mother smile!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails