I commute to work, which means that some days I drive the 16 miles to work, but mostly I ride my bike 1.5 miles to the nearest BART train station and ride the train 24 minutes to work. Lately it's been getting cold, which seriously cramps my personal style (or lack thereof). I like to wear flip flops. Actually, I don't like shoes at all and would prefer to live life with my toes sunk into white sand on a warm beach somewhere. But seeing that I live in Northern California and work at a Fortune 500 Corporation, I must wear shoes daily. But, also seeing that I work in the creative services department of said Corporation's headquarters, which is a very relaxed place, I deign to wear flip flops. Daily. Truly. And jeans most days. I love my job.
So now in the wintery cold place that is Northern California, I bundle myself up in my long-sleeved tops, jackets and ski-coat. Sometimes I pile on a scarf. I pull on my warmest wintery gloves. And then I don my beloved Rainbow flip-flops, roll up my right pant-leg, hop on my bike and cycle to BART. It's freezing at first, but by the time I get to the train I'm okay. A small sacrifice to have wiggly-free, happy toes at work all day.
But I digress.
After my wiggly-free and happy toes made it onto my train this morning, I noticed a guy get on the train the stop after me. He was really good looking. We made eye contact, smiled and sat across from each other. It occurred to me that he seemed very familiar (for you LDS people out there - don't start singing "I've seen that smile somewhere before" just yet!) and then I realized why. He was a dead ringer for the comedian Dane Cook.
Okay.
Interesting. I spent the rest of the train ride stealing
glances over at him and contemplating fame. And thinking that if it was Dane Cook, he was much cuter in real life than in photos/on TV. I found it interesting and refreshing that no one was bothering this man. Maybe he wasn't Dane Cook. Maybe he was and no one cared because everyone was preoccupied with their morning commute and the upcoming Thanksgiving festivities. Why would Dane Cook be riding a BART train? In any case, why should we care in the first place? At least to the degree that people value fame these days. And so I smiled to myself and went back to reading my book, The Time Traveler's Wife, which is a very good book, in case you were wondering.

I have no idea who Dane Cook is. I'm going to google him. Will it be safe?
ReplyDeleteLOVE The Time Traveler's Wife! Amazing!
ReplyDeleteDane Cook is cute. If it was him, I liked how he smiled at you and sat across from you. Very cool...and also that you just kept reading.
You're so funny! I love your writing girl!! Hope you're havin a good time if Oregon. ;)
ReplyDelete