I've got a cast iron stomach. As a teen I LOVED roller coasters and those spinning room rides and basically any ride that could make my stomach drop, resulting in that heart-pounding fun high.
So it's kind of weird that I've never ever had the teeniest bit of desire to go skydiving or bungee jumping. Ah well. (I have been Rappelling and rock climbing and I've tried to Zip Line on several occasions, but that never worked out.)
Despite all of the daredevilishness, I can count on one hand the number of times I've been genuinely nauseated.
-After gouging out part of my leg on a 30-mile backpacking trip. Shock set in and I puked a few times.
-When I had the flu (BAD) while working on a cruise ship. I was tossed in the brig (infirmary) and shut up in there with out any human contact for five days. I felt pretty pukey then too. Sea+flu= not fun.
-After dislocating my thumb on my most recent Greek sailing adventure. To my surprise, my body was not very appreciative of having one of my limbs displaced and decided to rebel. It took a full hour of sitting on deck, facing the wind, pale-faced, thumb-swollen (being iced) for me to feel not nauseous.
That's it.
-Oh wait, I lied. I was on a medication for a while that made me want to puke all the time. Thank goodness that's over.
I really wonder if I'd get sick sailing across the Pacific in a sailboat. ?
What if it's a sign? The fact that my stomach can handle just about anything? Maybe I'm meant to be living a life at sea?
Curiouser and curiouser.
Can you tell that I'm currently obsessed with sailboats?
You see, these nights, my dreams are about one of two things:
1. Living in Rome. Traveling by train down Capri, shouting things in Italian and making hand gestures, spending weekends at an Italian friend's villa, eating pasta in inordinate amounts, strolling around Villa d'Este Tivoli and waking up in the mornings, greeted by centuries-old architecture and cultura.
2. Living on a Sailboat. Fitting her out for a trans-pacific trip over to Fiji, then onto Indonesia, the Indian coast, Africa, Morocco, Spain. Then maybe I'd sail back the other way again because who wants to ever go back to "reality?" Days spend sanding down the teak decks of my fixer-upper while I prep her for the big trip. Learning everything about rigging and sheets and lines and knots and navigation and fixing engines and bilge pumps. Fitting out my V-berth and my galley and mosquito screens on all of my hatches, and stocking up on sunblock,
& oh-bytheway,
finding someone [Male, LDS, ruggedly handsome, at least 5'9", between the ages of 30-39, no kids, finds me irresistibly adorable and is financially stable enough to contribute his portion to the sailing kitty] to sail around the world with me.
[If you know of anyone who fits the aforementioned description, please make yourself known in the comments.]
I live and breathe these dreams!
For some reason I want to move to Italy by myself, but I don't want to sail around the world by myself. Don't you find that... odd? Funny? Purposeful? Hmmm...
I once read that "A specialist is a person who knows more and more about less and less." I feel these days more and more like letting go (for a little while) of the generalist in me and specializing in something (Or, more realistically, like putting the generalist to work doing something generally specific) - like photography, or writing, or all things Italian, or all things Sailboatish.
What about you? What are you dreaming about these days? How would you fare on a sailboat?
When have you been the most nauseous?
So it's kind of weird that I've never ever had the teeniest bit of desire to go skydiving or bungee jumping. Ah well. (I have been Rappelling and rock climbing and I've tried to Zip Line on several occasions, but that never worked out.)
Despite all of the daredevilishness, I can count on one hand the number of times I've been genuinely nauseated.
-After gouging out part of my leg on a 30-mile backpacking trip. Shock set in and I puked a few times.
-When I had the flu (BAD) while working on a cruise ship. I was tossed in the brig (infirmary) and shut up in there with out any human contact for five days. I felt pretty pukey then too. Sea+flu= not fun.
-After dislocating my thumb on my most recent Greek sailing adventure. To my surprise, my body was not very appreciative of having one of my limbs displaced and decided to rebel. It took a full hour of sitting on deck, facing the wind, pale-faced, thumb-swollen (being iced) for me to feel not nauseous.
That's it.
-Oh wait, I lied. I was on a medication for a while that made me want to puke all the time. Thank goodness that's over.
I really wonder if I'd get sick sailing across the Pacific in a sailboat. ?
What if it's a sign? The fact that my stomach can handle just about anything? Maybe I'm meant to be living a life at sea?
Curiouser and curiouser.
Can you tell that I'm currently obsessed with sailboats?
You see, these nights, my dreams are about one of two things:
1. Living in Rome. Traveling by train down Capri, shouting things in Italian and making hand gestures, spending weekends at an Italian friend's villa, eating pasta in inordinate amounts, strolling around Villa d'Este Tivoli and waking up in the mornings, greeted by centuries-old architecture and cultura.
2. Living on a Sailboat. Fitting her out for a trans-pacific trip over to Fiji, then onto Indonesia, the Indian coast, Africa, Morocco, Spain. Then maybe I'd sail back the other way again because who wants to ever go back to "reality?" Days spend sanding down the teak decks of my fixer-upper while I prep her for the big trip. Learning everything about rigging and sheets and lines and knots and navigation and fixing engines and bilge pumps. Fitting out my V-berth and my galley and mosquito screens on all of my hatches, and stocking up on sunblock,
& oh-bytheway,
finding someone [Male, LDS, ruggedly handsome, at least 5'9", between the ages of 30-39, no kids, finds me irresistibly adorable and is financially stable enough to contribute his portion to the sailing kitty] to sail around the world with me.
[If you know of anyone who fits the aforementioned description, please make yourself known in the comments.]
I live and breathe these dreams!
For some reason I want to move to Italy by myself, but I don't want to sail around the world by myself. Don't you find that... odd? Funny? Purposeful? Hmmm...
I once read that "A specialist is a person who knows more and more about less and less." I feel these days more and more like letting go (for a little while) of the generalist in me and specializing in something (Or, more realistically, like putting the generalist to work doing something generally specific) - like photography, or writing, or all things Italian, or all things Sailboatish.
What about you? What are you dreaming about these days? How would you fare on a sailboat?
When have you been the most nauseous?
I would LOVE life on a sailboat. Simple. Free. Too bad LD has NO desire for such things.
ReplyDeleteMy dream I think would be a villa in Spain or Italy. Living in a nice community where everyone is friendly and enjoying life through friends, family, and food.
You should go for it Christy! Life is for living, and you never know how much life you have left. It all changes when you have kids. It isn't as easy to do those things. It can of course still be done, but it isn't as easy. ;)
I'll work on finding you that man... especially the financially viable part.