I've lived "on my own" (out of my parent's house) pretty much since the age of 18. Since then, I've had a lot of roommates. Housemates. Flatmates. Whatever you want to call them. I've always been assertive and have wanted things in my home and my space to be "just so." You probably understand this, because you've got your own way of doing things. And that's the point. Good roommates are hard to find. And of course, the definitive "good" is subjective because every single person has different requirements for cleanliness, respect, personal space, etc...
Why do I bring this subject up? Because I've had a phenomenal roommate for the past 2.5 years, but she's recently decided to move out and try other things in life. I say good for her!
But now I've got to find a new roommate.
It's a chore! I've got to risk inviting semi and complete strangers into my home for a few minutes, tour them around and sit down and chat and decide whether or not I'd like to invite them into my personal living space and adapt to theirs.
Yuck.
As a single woman who would like to be a happily married woman, I'd like to say this to all of the world:
Single women do NOT want to live with other single women. Not really. We do it out of necessity. We do it to pay the bills and to be social. But seriously, what grown woman wants to share her kitchen or bathroom with another grown (equally set in her ways and picky) woman? Deep down. None.
It's not optimal. It's like in the movie Elizabethtown when the heroine calls herself a "Substitute Person." We are the substitute people. The stand-ins.
Just thought you all should know.
Now back to the roommate search...
Why do I bring this subject up? Because I've had a phenomenal roommate for the past 2.5 years, but she's recently decided to move out and try other things in life. I say good for her!
But now I've got to find a new roommate.
It's a chore! I've got to risk inviting semi and complete strangers into my home for a few minutes, tour them around and sit down and chat and decide whether or not I'd like to invite them into my personal living space and adapt to theirs.
Yuck.
As a single woman who would like to be a happily married woman, I'd like to say this to all of the world:
Single women do NOT want to live with other single women. Not really. We do it out of necessity. We do it to pay the bills and to be social. But seriously, what grown woman wants to share her kitchen or bathroom with another grown (equally set in her ways and picky) woman? Deep down. None.
It's not optimal. It's like in the movie Elizabethtown when the heroine calls herself a "Substitute Person." We are the substitute people. The stand-ins.
Just thought you all should know.
Now back to the roommate search...
I totally understand! ;) It's a nightmare. It took my current roommate(s) and I a while to decide what we're doing next, who's living where and all that jazz. I decided to move into a friend's house, it's just going to be the 2 of us, and it'll be lovely!! I'll be upstairs with my own bathroom, and she'll be downstairs. It's gonna be nice going back to only one other roommate after 2 years of "3." (I suppose right now I technically only have one roommate the way things worked out, but anyway, complicated, and I'm just saying I understand you girl!!)
ReplyDelete